Determination, passion and a strong belief in spiritual creativity that transcends the physical form are key themes in Batool Jafri’s work. As an artist, curator, mentor, art educator and enabler, Jafri has produced powerful and poignant work on the subject of the human mind and soul, while challenging historical and cultural prejudices that lead to marginalization of certain segments of society, particularly women and people of determination. The values and ideas conveyed in her work have been widely lauded, culminating in her being awarded the “Emirates Woman of the Year 2018” in the Art & Culture category.
Jafri is committed to raising awareness for the underprivileged and encouraging their inclusion in society, featuring these themes in her art and through efforts at the grassroot. She is a vocal supporter of the emerging Muslim art movement, encouraging Muslim youth to take up art as a means of self-expression. Jafri continues to collaborate with other artists to lend her voice to important social issues, ranging from the state of women in Egyptian prisons to animal rights offences in Africa.
Jafri’s body of work draws on her personal experience growing up in a Muslim society, and critiques gender- and ability-related inequalities, where women and individuals with special needs continue to be subjected to antiquated stereotypes. She has exhibited in over 35 solo, national and international art exhibitions across the world, including events held in the UK, Spain, the Netherlands, China, Turkey, Egypt, Oman and the UAE. Her artworks are included in the permanent collections of the Bursa Museum of Immigration History (Turkey), the Cross Borders Art Gallery (UAE) and in private collections around the world. Along with her role as an artist and teacher, Jafri is also on the panel if curators for the prestigious World Art Dubai fair held annually in Dubai and considered the regions leading international art fair.
Jafri holds a Master of Art Education degree from Boston University, USA and Bachelor of Textile Design from University of Karachi, Pakistan.
Exhibitions & Art Events
- Participated in the “Earth Dream”, Brussles, Belgium – February 2020
- Curator for ArtGap, in collaboration with Standard Chartered Bank UAE, Dubai, UAE – January 2019 onwards
- Curator for the prestigious World Art Dubai art fair, Dubai, UAE – 2018 – 2019
- Winner of “Emirates Woman of the Year” Award in Art & Culture, Dubai, UAE – November 2018
- Participated in the Parallax Art Fair, London, UK – Feb 2018
- Part of the group exhibition for the “Wall of Happiness” Dubai, UAE, November 2017
- Participated in the World Art Dubai Art Fair, Dubai, UAE – April 2017
- Participated in the Barcelona International Art fair, Barcelona, Spain – December 2016
- Participated in the World Art Dubai Art Fair, Dubai, UAE – April 2016
- Participated in the Oxford International Art Fair, Oxford, UK – February 2016
- Part of a dual exhibition at Atelier Du Caire Gallery, Cairo, Egypt – February 2016
- Participated in The Paragon Artists Cultural Exchange Part 2 organized by the ZeeArts Community, Liwa, Abu Dhabi – January 2016
- Part of the “Art in Secret” Auction for the special needs institute Mawaheb, Dubai, U.A.E. – January 2016
- Amsterdam International Art Fair, Amsterdam – August 2015
- 8th Ramadan Art Bazar, Nation Towers, Abu Dhabi – July 2015
- Charity auction “The Art of Giving” organized by Al Maktoum Foundation in collaboration with FNDesign in Al Serkal Avenue, Dubai – July 2015
- Participated in the Charity auction “Artists for the kids of Syria”, Dubai – June 2015
- Participated in The Paragon Artists Cultural Exchange organized by the Zee Arts Community, Oman – May 2015
- Participated in Street Art Nights, JBR, Dubai – May 2015
- Participated in the SNF Charity Auction, Dubai – May 2015
- Participated in “The Sameness Project”, Dubai – 2015
- Participated in Street Art Nights, Dubai – February 2015
- Participated in “Save the Rhino” art charity auction, Dubai – January 2015
- “Women of the Desert” at Gallery 76, Dubai International Art Center – April 2015
- Painted 3D art installation in celebration of UAE National Day, City Center, Dubai – December 2014
- A one day “Meet the artist” exhibition in Dalma Mall, Abu Dhabi – November 2014
- Times Art Museum, Beijing China – August 2014
- Art Hub, Abu Dhabi – July, 2014
- Impact Hub, Dubai – June, 2014
Art Education Workshops
- Ongoing art facilitator at The Jam Jar (Art studio), Dubai
- Ongoing Art facilitator for the Toyota Dream Car Contest – 2015 onwards
- Facilitated the workshop for the Primary school staff on Islamic Art at the Dubai British School, Dubai, U.A.E. – 2015
- Art Manager for Children’s workshops in Art Dubai – 2015. Art Dubai is the leading international art fair in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. It presents a select yet diverse line-up of around 90 galleries from the UAE and around the world.
- Worked as Art facilitator for 3D workshops in Dubai Canvas – 2015. Dubai Canvas is an annual festival with varying artistic themes each year.
- Worked as Art Facilitator for childrens workshops conducted by the Sheikha Salama bint Hamdan Al Nahyan Foundation at Manarat Al Sadiyaat – March 2015. This Foundation develops and supports strategic initiatives in the areas of education; arts, culture, heritage; and health and was founded by Her Highness in 2010.
- Worked as Art facilitator in Abu Dhabi Art – 2014. Abu Dhabi Art is a multi-disciplinary experience combining an art fair with a diverse programme which includes art, talks and sensational events.